Contact tracing is mandatory. Please register your visit via the paper-based diary at reception, or by using the NZ COVID Tracer app.
Please wear a face covering if you are aged 12 years or over when entering Shantytown, on the train, at the gold clam and until you are seated in the cafe.
Under ‘Orange’ in New Zealand’s ‘Covid-19 Protection Framework’, our capacity limits are based on 1 metre distancing between bubbles so we still have plenty of space for all park visitors. However, entering our cafe can currently occur only if you have your vaccine passport. We will check passports at the cafe door.
Children under 12 will at this stage be exempt from vaccine passport checks.
Summer Opening Hours: 9am-4pm.
Train Timetable: 10:45am, 11:45am,
1:15pm, 2:15pm & 3:15pm
Incredible West Coast Package!
Only $399 Per Person
Enjoy relaxing nights of 4-Star accommodation at:
– Hotel Lake Brunner soaking up gorgeous lake views.
– Beachfront Hotel Hokitika in a Luxury Ocean View Room.
– Rainforest Retreat Franz Josef within your own Tree Lodge.
Then fill in the daylight hours with four great activities:
– A visit to the pioneer era at Shantytown Heritage Park.
– Entry to the canopy touching West Coast Treetop Walk & Cafe.
– Helicopter flight over Franz Josef glacier with HeliServices.NZ.
– See live kiwi & tuatara at the West Coast Wildlife Centre.
We recommend you allow at least 90 minutes to experience our award-winning attractions.
Events And Weddings
Shantytown Heritage Park is home to the West Coast Events Centre – ideal for hosting small, intimate meetings up to large corporate events of up to 600 delegates. READ MORE…
A wedding at Shantytown is like no other. Private bush clad location, authentic historic church, full on-site catering and support, while stunning photo opportunities abound. READ MORE…
Shantytown is conveniently located between the West Coast’s major towns, Greymouth and Hokitika – just 3kms off the main highway (SH6).